Welcome to the teaching page. Here you will find instructions and information regarding outcomes and materials for this unit of work.
The content is written for and aimed at a Stage 4 music class in the mandatory course exploring the concepts of music through popular music. All scores, MIDI files, audio files, GarageBand and Finale files are available to both students and teachers through the Materials page. Additional videos for advanced learners & tutorial videos for beginners are located within the Performance and Composition pages.
Required knowledge for the tasks in this unit of work is minimal. Some experience in reading traditional notation is preferred, but not required. A basic understanding of the instrument students are studying is a must.
Outcomes & Learning
Through the activities outlined in the student pages, students will complete the following outcomes:
4.2 performs music using different forms of notation and different types of technology across a broad range of musical styles
4.3 performs music demonstrating solo and/or ensemble awareness
4.4 demonstrates an understanding of musical concepts through exploring, experimenting, improvising, organising, arranging and composing
4.6 experiments with different forms of technology in the composition process
4.8 demonstrates an understanding of musical concepts through aural identification and discussion of the features of a range of repertoire
4.10 identifies the use of technology in the music selected for study, appropriate to the musical context
Students will learn to:
– perform musical compositions and arrangements individually and/or in groups
– perform music that uses different forms of musical notation and technologies
– organise musical ideas into simple compositions both individually and in groups
– explore forms of musical notation, including computer-based applications, as a method of recording their own musical ideas
– respond to a range of repertoire used for listening
Students will learn about music concepts through:
– understanding how the concepts of music are used and manipulated in compositions and arrangement.
– understanding various forms of musical notation used in the repertoire studied
– creating simple compositions using various forms of traditional and non-traditional notation.
– aurally exploring music of various styles, periods and genres
All outcomes and learning experiences are taken from the NSW Board of Studies Stages 4 and 5 Music Syllabus.